CEDAR email: VGEM: Discussion session of the 'The Impact of the Cold Plasma in Magnetospheric Physics' Focus Group

Delzanno, Gian Luca delzanno at lanl.gov
Wed Jul 1 08:11:23 MDT 2020

Dear Colleagues,

The GEM Focus Group (FG) ‘Impact of the cold plasma in magnetospheric physics’ will have a discussion session at the Virtual GEM meeting (20-23 July 2020) to plan the activities of the FG for subsequent years. The session will be organized with
1.	a short introduction on the goals of the FG
2.	two scene-setting talks (30 min in total, given by Elena Kronberg and Thom Moore), followed by
3.	ample time for discussions.
The session is scheduled for Thursday July 23rd, 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM EDT.

We solicit input from the community on the kind of activities that the FG should develop. Some questions that might be useful to think about and that will be used for the discussion are the following
1.	What are the open questions associated with the cold plasma in magnetospheric physics?
2.	What kind of measurements are necessary to fully understand the role of the cold plasma in magnetospheric physics?
3.	How do we include the impact of the cold plasma in magnetospheric modeling, including global codes?
4.	What kind of activities would you like to see carried out in this cold-plasma FG?
Contributed presentations are welcome. They will be limited to one-slide/5-minutes per contribution and we kindly ask you to prepare it as part of the discussion, following one of the four questions mentioned above. We will keep the record of contributions on the FG website. Please contact Gian Luca Delzanno (delzanno at lanl.gov) to submit your contribution.

Here is the link to the FG website where all the activities will be listed:
https://gem.epss.ucla.edu/mediawiki/index.php/FG:_The_Impact_of_the_Cold_Plasma_in_Magnetospheric_Physics

Sincerely,
Gian Luca Delzanno on behalf of the Cold-plasma FG leaders