CEDAR email: CEDAR workshop on High Latitude IT processes

Cheryl Huang huangcyh at gmail.com
Wed May 15 15:13:47 MDT 2019

We encourage submissions to our workshop on High Latitude IT processes. The
2019 CEDAR meeting will be held in Santa Fe, NM, from 17-21 June. The
high-latitude IT processes workshop is scheduled for 10am on Thursday, 20
June,

>From the topic description:
Current ionosphere-thermosphere (IT) models, including empirical,
physics-based and assimilative, represent the average system qualitatively
well under most conditions. However, when detailed quantitative comparisons
of data with model predictions are carried out for specific events,
significant discrepancies appear. The discrepancies can arise due to the
(i) incomplete understanding of the underlying physical processes, (ii)
approximations and assumptions made in models, (iii) numerical constraints,
as well as (iv) uncertainties in the measurements, and (v) lack of data
coverage, measurements of critical physical parameters, insufficient
temporal and/or spatial resolution. This workshop aims at an open
discussion of these discrepancies, challenging observations, and what the
community can do to advance IT forecasting.

Link to the workshop and full desciption:
http://cedarweb.vsp.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2019_Workshop:High_latitude_IT_processes

As the workshop description states, we solicit short presentations to allow
time for discussion after the talks. Last year we limited speakers to 3
slides, 5 minutes. We will decide on format when we have a better idea of
the number of papers. All presentations will be uploaded to Google Docs.

Thank you,
Cheryl Huang
Olga Verkhoglyadova
Dogacan Ozturk