CEDAR email: We would like to draw your attention to the AGU 2019 Fall Meeting session SA009 - Investigating the Behavior of Multiscale Processes in the ITM system

Delores Jane Knipp delores.knipp at colorado.edu
Fri Jul 26 10:58:49 MDT 2019

We would like to draw your attention to the AGU 2019 Fall Meeting session

SA009 - Investigating the Behavior of Multiscale Processes in the ITM system

This session focuses on ‘what we need to know,’ as well as ‘what we do know,’ in an effort to ensure that our discipline remains robust.  Abstracts that address any of the questions in the session description are highly encouraged.

Submit an Abstract to this Session<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm19/sa/papers/index.cgi?sessionid=76478>

What do we need to do/measure/fly to understand the spatial and temporal behavior of the ITM system (its response to solar ionization and heating, forcing by the lower atmosphere, and electromagnetic and particle inputs from the magnetosphere, as well as internal processes)? What can we do with the current ground-and space-based instruments in addressing these questions? What are the open questions? How do we make useful/accurate predictions? What do we need to add to our capabilities? GOLD, ICON and TIMED are expected to provide measurements of the ITM system along with ground-based sensors and sounding rockets, MOO payloads, etc. What would the next generation (DYNAMIC/GDC) provide that is missing? This session welcomes presentations on next-generation instrument technologies, missions, state of the art modeling efforts, and scientific results relevant to the multiscale dynamics of the ITM system.

Conveners:  Larry Paxton, Delores Knipp, Yue Deng and Phil Erikson

Delores J. Knipp, Research Professor
Fellow, American Meteorological Society
Ann and H. J. Smead Aerospace Engineering Sciences Dept, and
Colorado Center for Astrodynamics Research, CU Boulder
Senior Research Associate, NCAR/HAO
EIC Space Weather/Space Weather Quarterly, AGU