CEDAR email: AGU session on M-I-T coupling

Toshi Nishimura toshi16 at bu.edu
Thu Jul 4 09:36:29 MDT 2019

Dear colleagues,

We solicit presentations at the 2018 AGU Fall Meeting on a variety of
issues in the mid and high latitude M-I-T system, particularly on coupling
and energy transfer processes at various scales.

Session Title:
SA007 - Cross-scale Coupling and Energy Transfer in the mid and
high-latitude Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere System
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm19/prelim.cgi/Session/76149

Session Description:
Determining the effects of energy deposition and transport, and momentum
exchange across different spatial and temporal scales is an important
objective in the M-I-T system, due to the clear evidence of multi-scale
forcing. Coupling over multiple scales is also a critical challenge since
observational and modeling methodologies for bridging different scales do
not presently exist. This session solicits presentations on a wide range of
coupling processes in the mid/high-latitude M-I-T system from global to
small-scale processes and related solar wind forcing. Relevant topics
include (but are not limited to) (1) density structures and temperature
gradients (polar cap, cusp, plume, trough, irregularities); (2) convection
(flow channels, SAPS) and FAC; (3) energy transfer and deposition by
precipitation, conductivity, aurora, and heating; and (4) coupling and
feedback into the magnetosphere. Discussions of relevant multi-scale
observations by means of multiple instruments, including space and
ground-based, modeling and data science are encouraged.

Best regards,
Toshi Nishimura
Olga Verkhoglyadova
Larry Lyons