CEDAR email: AGU Session: Geophysical and Planetary Acoustics

Daniel Bowman danny.c.bowman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 13:17:40 MDT 2019

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to let you know about our session: "A117 - Sounds of the
Solar System: Geophysical and Planetary Acoustics."  We welcome submissions
from all walks of geophysical acoustics, including propagation at
thermospheric and ionospheric altitudes.  Acoustics is emerging as an
important line of investigation on other planets: abstracts focusing on
these aspects are welcome as well.  Session description follows.

Best,

Danny Bowman

Forces imposed on the atmosphere of Earth and other planets can create
acoustic waves that travel vast distances, providing information on their
source and the transmission medium.  On Earth, low frequency sound
("infrasound") sensors can capture signals from natural sources (volcanoes,
earthquakes, severe storms, bolides, gravity-driven flows etc.) and human
activities (chemical and nuclear explosions, wind turbines, dams, etc.).
These sounds can be inverted to determine atmospheric structure.  They may
also carry energy into the upper atmosphere, creating localized heating.
The recent detection of Martian infrasound via the InSight lander has
highlighted the scientific dividends of acoustic monitoring on other solar
system bodies as well.  In fact, studies of acoustic wave propagation have
also been performed for Venus, Jupiter, and Titan.  This session is
dedicated to highlighting studies of acoustic waves on the Earth and
beyond. We invite theoretical, numerical, and experimental studies in
geophysical and planetary acoustics.