CEDAR email: Item for CEDAR Newsletter

Giles, Barbara (GSFC-6730) barbara.giles at nasa.gov
Fri May 11 13:58:26 MDT 2018

The Merged Modeling and Measurement of Injection of Ionospheric Plasma into the Magnetosphere (M3I2) and Its Effects—Plasma Sheet, Ring Current, Substorm Dynamics GEM focus group will have four sessions at the upcoming GEM meeting in Santa Fe. The focus group sessions will take place on Thursday, June 21 at 10:30 am, 1:00 pm and 3:30 pm and Friday, June 22 at 10:30 am.

Please bookmark/watch the GEM wiki page for detailed information and continued updates: http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki/index.php/GEM_M3-I2_Sessions_June_17-23%2C_2018

We will be focusing on upflow/outflow from the ionosphere, effects of outflow on the magnetosphere, and merged modeling of ionospheric outflow and magnetosphere population and dynamics. The fourth session will have open discussion and planning for future focus group activities.

We will have a few invited talks to set the stage for the sessions, and will arrange the sessions in the workshop mode so that everyone can show their data and models. Participants are encouraged to make shorter, rapid-fire contributions -- a few charts only, no formal intro or conclusions needed -- related to the topics of the sessions. Preliminary results and conflicting points of view are especially helpful during a workshop format.

Our focus group had previously identified two storm periods for coordinated study, so if you have information on these, we especially encourage you to share those during the workshop sessions. During the planning session we anticipate choosing additional more recent special periods to encourage the use of new data from the several relevant missions in flight, including ePOP, MMS, THEMIS, Geotail, Cluster, ARASE, and the Van Allen Probes.

Participants are also encouraged to show new and newly restored observational data. There may be a prize for the person(s) that can say the title of our focus group fluently and from memory.

Please send the title of your contribution and the session in which you would like to present to the session organizers as soon as you are able. Since this is a workshop, placeholder titles are expected and perfectly acceptable. Email addresses are posted to the link above.

We look forward to seeing you at GEM and CEDAR.
Shasha Zou, Barbara Giles, Vince Eccles, and Rick Chappell