CEDAR email: Solar eclipse session at CEDAR Workshop

Shun-Rong Zhang shunrong at mit.edu
Tue May 30 11:00:47 MDT 2017

Hi all

For the first time in 26 years, a total solar eclipse will occur in the North American longitude sector on 21 August 2017, with partial and/or total eclipse occurring between ~16:00 and 20:00 UT. We are organizing a dedicated solar eclipse session at CEDAR to discuss the associated upper atmospheric sciences and to coordinate observational efforts. We invite your participation in our session in various forms, providing presentations, contributing to discussions, or as an interested audience.

Friday, June 23, 10-12AM (Torreys I&II)

For the first time in 26 years, a total solar eclipse will occur in the North American longitude sector on 21 August 2017, with partial and/or total eclipse occurring between ~16:00 and 20:00 UT depending on location. During the eclipse-induced sudden (in a few minutes) interruption in solar illumination, the neutral and charged particles in the upper atmosphere will undergo significant changes beyond what a normal sunset and sunrise process would generate. Although eclipse effects have been studied for more than 50 years, recent major advances in sensitivity and spatial/temporal resolution using modern observational techniques can provide timely new information on eclipse ionosphere - thermosphere - mesosphere (ITM) system response. The purpose of this session is to (1) discuss potential scientific eclipse-related topics that are of significant community interest, (2) discuss current availability and observing plans of ground-based and in situ instruments for the 21 August 2017 observation of the upper atmospheric responses; and (3) to coordinate community observation, analysis, and modeling efforts. We welcome contributions to address broad topics of the solar eclipse effect on the upper atmosphere, ranging from ground-based-based and in situ observations, analysis, to modeling. In particular, we welcome short presentations on observational and data sharing plans for the upcoming 21 August 2017 event.

Shunrong Zhang and Phil Erickson

MIT Haystack Observatory
99 Millstone Road, Westford, MA 01886