CEDAR email: AGU session SA07: Solar Eclipse Effects on the Upper Atmosphere

Shun-Rong Zhang shunrong at mit.edu
Thu Jul 20 07:04:10 MDT 2017

Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to our AGU Fall meeting session SA07, Solar Eclipse Effects on the Upper Atmosphere. We welcome contributions regarding solar eclipse effects in general, and in particular related to the upcoming August 21, 2017 event.

The regular AGU abstract submission deadline comes before this 2017 eclipse.  However, for this session, revision to the submitted abstracts will be possible until September 15, allowing the latest results to be incorporated into the abstracts.

Session information is given below:

SA07:  Solar Eclipse Effects on the Upper Atmosphere

Session ID#: 26657

Session Description:
For the first time in 26 years, a total solar eclipse will occur in the North American on 21 August 2017. During the eclipse-induced sudden interruption in solar illumination, the upper atmosphere will undergo significant changes beyond what a normal sunset and sunrise process would generate. Although eclipse effects have been studied for many decades, recent major advances in modern observational techniques can provide timely new information on eclipse upper atmospheric system response. Global numerical models have become more capable of capturing important coupling processes on various scales. This session will review existing theories and knowledge of eclipse upper atmospheric effects, examine these against modern eclipse observations, in particular during 21 August 2017, and identify unresolved and challenging problems for future research. We welcome contributions addressing scientific questions of the ionospheric, thermospheric and mesospheric variations during a solar eclipse using ground-based and in situ measurements as well as numerical models.The regular AGU abstract submission deadline comes before the 2017 eclipse. We encourage submissions related to this event. For this session, revision to the submitted abstracts will be possible until September 15, allowing the latest results to be incorporated into the abstracts.
Primary Convener:  Shunrong Zhang, MIT Haystack Observatory, Westford, MA, United States
Conveners:  Larisa P Goncharenko, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, United StatesLibo Liu, IGG Institute of Geology and Geophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China