CEDAR email: Antarctic gravity wave instrument network science workshop -deadlines

Kavanagh, Andrew J. andkav at bas.ac.uk
Fri Feb 12 05:13:54 MST 2016

3rd International ANtarctic Gravity Wave Instrument Network (ANGWIN) science workshop
Deadlines Approaching - 17 February 2016 Midnight GMT
The deadline for applications for financial support to attend the ANGWIN workshop is rapidly approaching!
There is funding to support:
1.       Free registration and workshop dinner for 8 students/early career scientists (must be an author on an abstract)
To apply send an abstract and a short CV to tmof at bas.ac.uk<mailto:tmof at bas.ac.uk> by MIDNIGHT (GMT) 17th FEBRUARY.
2.       Travel support for two early career scientists/scientists from developing countries (must be the lead author on an abstract)
To apply send an abstract, short CV and an outline of expected benefits of attending the meeting to tmof at bas.ac.uk<mailto:tmof at bas.ac.uk> by MIDNIGHT (GMT) 17th FEBRUARY.
In both cases DO NOT REGISTER/SUBMIT AN ABSTRACT yet. A decision on your application will be made quickly and you will be instructed on how to proceed.
More details are available on the website:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/3rd-international-antarctic-gravity-wave-instrument-network-angwin-science-workshop-registration-20754077003

Workshop Details
Location: Cambridge, U.K.
Dates: 12th-14th April 2016
The Antarctic Gravity Wave Instrument Network (ANGWIN) is a highly successful grassroots program that was started in 2011. Although initially focussed on the Antarctic we now aim to develop collaborations in both Polar Regions.
ANGWIN aims to use results from the network of instrumentation at international research stations to address the primary research goal of quantifying and understanding the dominant sources, propagation and impact of a broad spectrum of gravity waves on a continental-wide scale.
This workshop will be comprised of talks about new measurements and modelling studies of gravity waves in both the Antarctic and Arctic regions and also discussion sessions where new ideas and studies can be put forward.
Registration and abstract submission details can be found at:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/3rd-international-antarctic-gravity-wave-instrument-network-angwin-science-workshop-registration-20754077003
Registration and abstract submission:
Registration is open until midnight 25th March 2016.
There are two levels of registration available:
Standard £64
Student/early career £42 (where early career is defined as within 5 years of PhD completion)
The registration fee will include lunch and tea/coffee provision during the breaks.
In addition we will be hosting a workshop dinner on the evening of the 12th. It will be held in the historic old library of Emmanuel College, part of the University of Cambridge (https://www.emma.cam.ac.uk/conferences/dining/rooms/OL/<https://www.emma.cam.ac.uk/conferences/dining/rooms/OL/>). This will be a three-course gala dinner costing £45pp.
The abstract deadline is midnight on 18th March. We will only be accepting abstracts for oral presentations. We will notify you shortly after the deadline as to your success in gaining a speaking slot at the workshop.
You can submit your abstract during the registration process.
Financial support:
Thanks to our generous sponsors (IAMAS/VARSITI-SCOSTEP/SCAR) we are able to offer two types of support packages (Free registration and workshop dinner for 8 students/early career scientists and two small travel support packages for early career scientists/scientists from developing countries or countries with emerging economies).  Full details can be found on the website.
 The ANGWIN workshop committee would like to thank the following organisations for their support of this event: SCAR, IAMAS and VARSITI/SCOSTEP.
Local Organising Committee (British Antarctic Survey):
Tracy Moffat-Griffin (Chair), Andrew Orr, Andrew Kavanagh, Scott Hosking
Scientific Organizing Committee:
Mike J. Taylor (Utah State University), Takuji Nakamura, Mitsumu K. Ejiri (National Institute of Polar Research, Japan), Tracy-Moffat Griffin (British Antarctic Survey), Damian Murphy (Australian Antarctic Division), and Hisao Takahashi (National Institute for Space Research, Brazil).