CEDAR email: MST14/iMST1 Radar Workshop - Deadline for Abstract submission is February 14, 2014 at www.inpe.br/spaceweather/MST14/

Clezio M. De Nardin clezio.denardin at inpe.br
Mon Jan 27 09:54:15 MST 2014

MST14/iMST1 - Deadline for Abstract submission is February 14, 2014
www.inpe.br/spaceweather/MST14/

Over the last 30 years, we have held a very successful series of workshops
on "Technical and Scientific Aspects of MST Radar". A fourteenth is to be
held in 2014, but this time we are expanding the scope to include
ionospheric
research. This is motivated by the fact that many in the MST radar community

are also engaged in ionospheric radar work and we recognize the benefits of
having joint workshops with our colleagues who focus primarily on
ionospheric
research. We are optimistic that this will lead to improvements in research
techniques, analysis and fundamental understanding of both atmospheric and
ionospheric processes. The workshop will thereby be described by the joint
title MST14/iMST1, with the anticipation that this may be the first of many
such collaborative workshops.

MST14 /iMST1 will be held at the National Institute for Space Research
(INPE)
in Sao Jose dos Campos, Brazil, from May 25 to May 31, 2014. Scientists,
engineers, technical experts, theoreticians, students, all united in one
forum for MST radar studies ---  this is what has been special about the
series of MST workshops. Previous workshops have been held in diverse
locations like India, Peru, the USA, UK, France, Canada and Germany. The
focus of the upcoming iMST workshop in São José dos Campos (SP) will be
meso/strato/tropospheric and ionospheric coherent scatter radars, but
contributions from related areas, such as incoherent scatter probing,
collaborative studies using radars and other instruments like lidars and
in-situ studies, and relevant modeling efforts will all be welcome.

Contributed and invited talks will be organized in the following sessions:
1.	Meteorology and forecasting/nowcasting.
2.	MST scattering, micro-scale processes and turbulence.
3.	Ionospheric irregularities in E and F regions.
4.	Coherent and incoherent scatter radar techniques, ionospheric
       sounders and imagers.
5.	New instruments, signal processing, and quality control.
6.	Meteor studies and observations.
7.	Middle Atmosphere Dynamics and Structure.

We especially encourage papers involving multi-instrument applications
which include MST radars, wind profilers and ionospheric coherent
scatter radars (e.g. radars/forecast models, radars/lidars, radars/in
situ (rockets or satellites), radars/airglow imagers, radars/satellites,
etc.) in all sessions. The program will also integrate several invited
tutorial lectures throughout the workshop, which we anticipate will be
of interest to all participants, but will be of particular importance
to students and those new to the field.

Clezio Marcos De Nardin
National Institute for Space Research, Brazil
Chair of the Local Organizing Committee

Erhan Kudeki
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, EUA
Co-Chair of the International Steering Committee

Werner Singer
Leibniz Institute of Atmospheric Physics, Germany
Co-Chair of the International Steering Committee

For further details, please, access the MST14/iMST1 web page at
www.inpe.br/spaceweather/MST14/