CEDAR email: Arecibo earthquake; ISR School; REU at VT; CEDAR-GEM at SWW; COSPAR; AOGS; and Kintner asteroid

Barbara Emery emery at ucar.edu
Sun Jan 26 13:09:13 MST 2014

This is a generic mailing to the CEDAR community sent 26 January 2014.
Meetings and jobs are listed at http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu under
'Community' as 'Calendar of Meetings' and 'CEDAR related opportunities'.
CEDAR email messages are under 'Community' as 'CEDAR email Newsletters'.
All are in 'Quick Links' on the main page.
(1) Arecibo earthquake damage status.
 From Christiano G M Brum <cbrum at naic.edu> on 22 January.

(2) 2014 Joint NSF and EISCAT ISR Summer Radar School at Arecibo - funding
applications due 3 March.
 From <elizabeth.kendall at sri.com>.
US Participants: http://www.amisr.com/workshop and EISCAT participants:
http://www.sgo.fi/Events/Arecibo2014

(3) REU at Virginia Tech applications due 14 February.
 From Bob Clauer <rclauer at vt.edu>.
See also http://www.space.vt.edu/REU/

(4) Invitation to the CEDAR-GEM Challenge Meeting - April 7, 2014 before Space
Weather Week in Boulder, CO.
 From <jasoon.shim at nasa.gov>.

(5) COSPAR Assembly in Moscow, Russia, 2-10 Aug 2014 - abstracts due 14 February.
COSPAR C2.2 Wave coupling processes in the whole atmosphere.
 From Erdal Yigit <eyigit at gmu.edu>.
See also http://cospar2014moscow.com/

(6) AOGS2014: July 28-August 1, Sapporo, Japan - abstracts due 11 February.
ST-2:  Coupling processes in the mesosphere-thermosphere-ionosphere (MTI) system.
 From Huixin Liu (?? at geo.kyushu-u.ac.jp) and Liying Qian <lqian at ucar.edu>.
See also Http://www.asiaoceania.org/aogs2014/

(7) Asteroid 15358 named for Paul Kintner of Cornell.
 From Gang Lu <ganglu at ucar.edu> and <James.N.Head at raytheon.com>.

(1) Arecibo earthquake damage status.
 From Christiano G M Brum <cbrum at naic.edu> on 22 January.

Dear Arecibo users,

Safety assessments at the Arecibo Observatory have been completed following
the recent earthquake. The Angel Ramos Visitor Center at the Observatory
will reopen on Wednesday, January 22, with normal access and visiting hours.
Other Observatory operations will continue with certain restrictions until
short-term repairs to restore the facility to normal operation have been
completed.  Additional information will be provided when available.

(2) 2014 Joint NSF and EISCAT ISR Summer Radar School at Arecibo - funding
applications due 3 March.
 From <elizabeth.kendall at sri.com>.

The 2014 ISR Summer School will be held at the Arecibo Observatory. Puerto Rico,
July 21 – July 26, inclusive. The school provides students with hands-on
experience in designing and running experiments at incoherent scatter radar
facilities. During this summer school, students will have the opportunity to
run experiments with the Arecibo incoherent scatter radar (ISR) and use data
from multiple ISR observatories, such as EISCAT, Poker Flat (PFISR), Millstone
Hill, Resolute Bay (RISR), Sondrestrom, and Jicamarca. The school will be
structured to provide presentations in the morning and hands-on experience in
experiment design and analysis in the afternoons. The morning lectures will
include an introduction to the theory of incoherent scatter, radar operations,
ISR analysis techniques, and the Madrigal database. The afternoon exercises
will involve working closely with ISR facility staff in the topic areas of:
proposal design, experiment execution, and data analysis. All students will
have the opportunity to work one-on-one with experienced scientists from
multiple institutions.

The ISR summer school is suitable for graduate and advanced undergraduate
students and attendance is limited. For most students attending institutions
within the United States, travel, housing and meals will be provided. For
post-docs and students outside of the United States, funding will be considered
on a case-by-case basis. All students who wish to apply for the ISR summer
school must follow the application instructions at the appropriate summer
school web site:

US Participants: http://www.amisr.com/workshop

EISCAT participants: http://www.sgo.fi/Events/Arecibo2014

The 2014 ISR summer school is a collaboration between the US National
Science Foundation (NSF) and the EISCAT Scientific Association. The US
portion of the school is sponsored by the NSF through its Geospace
Facilities Program within the Geosciences Directorate and is organized
by SRI International. The EISCAT portion of the school is sponsored by
the EISCAT Scientific Association and organized by Sodankylä Geophysical
Observatory. For more information about the school, please contact
summerschool at esd.sri.com (US NSF) or arecibo2014 at sgo.fi (EISCAT).

The deadline for application submission is 03 March 2014.

(3) REU at Virginia Tech applications due 14 February.
 From Bob Clauer <rclauer at vt.edu>.

The REU Program in Space Science and Engineering at Virginia Tech in
Blacksburg, Virginia is currently recruiting talented undergraduate
students who are completing their junior year.  A wide variety of
research activities are available for students to join as well as
mentoring in academic, research and outreach skills.  Further information,
as well as a printable flyer, and application information are available
at our web site: http://www.space.vt.edu/REU/.

Briefly:

* PROGRAM DATES:  JUNE 2, 2014 - AUGUST 8, 2014
* APPLICATION DEADLINE:  FEBRUARY 14, 2014
* SUPPORT PACKAGE:  Stipend $5000.
**                                  On-Campus housing
**                                  Food allowance
**                                  Travel allowance

* APPLY AT:  http://www.space.vt.edu/REU/

(4) Invitation to the CEDAR-GEM Challenge Meeting - April 7, 2014 before Space
Weather Week in Boulder, CO.
 From <jasoon.shim at nasa.gov>.

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to invite you to attend the GEM-CEDAR Challenge Meeting
scheduled for Monday, April 7th 2014, 09:00 am – 12:00 pm, which will
be held at the Millennium Hotel in Boulder, CO.

In this working meeting, we will discuss the “Action Items in Preparation
for the CEDAR 2014 Workshop”
(http://ccmc.gsfc.nasa.gov/challenges/GEM-CEDAR/action_items_14.php)
that were agreed during the 2013 mini-GEM Workshop
(http://ccmc.gsfc.nasa.gov/challenges/GEM-CEDAR/,
http://ccmc.gsfc.nasa.gov/challenges/GEM-CEDAR/2013-mtg-report.php).

Among the action items, the following topics will be emphasized:
* Possible ways (depending on applications) to quantify storm effects on TEC and
neutral composition changes
* Auroral boundary validation study

We welcome opinions and suggestions from the experts on the topics above.
If you would like to present your thoughts, please let us know.

Sincerely,

Masha Kuznetsova,
Barbara Emery,
Ja Soon Shim

(5) COSPAR Assembly in Moscow, Russia, 2-10 Aug 2014 - abstracts due 14 February.
COSPAR C2.2 Wave coupling processes in the whole atmosphere.
 From Erdal Yigit <eyigit at gmu.edu>.

Dear all,

our session C2.2: Wave coupling processes in the whole atmosphere system
will take place during the COSPAR Assembly in Moscow (2-10 Aug 2014). Our
symposium focuses on troposphere to ionosphere multi-scale wave coupling.
New measurements, modeling and theoretical results, and analysis techniques
are encouraged, including electrodynamical and chemical studies. In particular,
studies in the following areas are most welcome:

*    Global structure, variability, and sources of gravity waves, planetary
waves, and tides.
*    Secondary wave generation, propagation, and their effects on the neutral
and ionized atmosphere.
*    Neutral atmosphere-ionosphere coupling processes.
*    Ionosphere-thermosphere-mesosphere response to lower and middle atmosphere
variability.

This symposium is also an open forum for ROSMIC (Role of the Sun and the Middle
atmosphere/thermosphere/ionosphere In Climate) related activities and contributions.

The abstract deadline is 14 February 2014 and can be submitted online at links from
http://cospar2014moscow.com/

Best regards,

Erdal Yigit

(6) AOGS2014: July 28-August 1, Sapporo, Japan - abstracts due 11 February.
ST-2:  Coupling processes in the mesosphere-thermosphere-ionosphere (MTI) system.
 From Huixin Liu (?? at geo.kyushu-u.ac.jp) and Liying Qian <lqian at ucar.edu>.

Dear Colleagues,

We're organizing a session ST-2 @ AOGS 2014 on the coupling processes in
the mesosphere-thermosphere-ionosphere (MTI) system.  Presentations on ground
and satellite observations, model simulations, instrument techniques related
to the MTI coupling are all solicited.

Please share your exciting research results with us!!!

Dr. Huixin Liu ,
Associate Professor,
International Center for Space Weather Science and Education,
Dept. of Earth and Planetary Science,
Faculty of Science,
Kyushu University,
Fukuoka 812-8581,
Japan

AOGS2014: July 28-Aug. 1, Sapporo, Japan.

ST-2:  Coupling processes in the mesosphere-thermosphere-ionosphere  MTI) system

Conveners: Huixin Liu(Kyushu Uni., Japan), Loren Chang (NCU, Taiwan) and Yuichi
Otsuka (Nagoya Uni., Japan)

Invited speakers:  H. Luehr (GFZ Potsdam, Germany), K. Shiokawa (Nagoya Uni.,
Japan),
J. Yue (Hampton Uni., USA), H. Jin (NICT, Japan), A. Chandran (U. Alaska, USA)

Understanding space and atmospheric variability from a whole atmosphere
perspective is becoming the key for the next breakthrough in solar-terrestrial
science. This international session focuses on physical/chemical processes
occurring in the mesosphere, thermosphere, and ionosphere (MTI) at all latitudes.
Both quiet and disturbed states in response to lower atmospheric forcing or solar
forcing are important for the understanding of the MTI region and its coupling
to other regions. Presentations on observational and model results, and new
observation techniques related to the MTI coupling studies are solicited in
this session. Presentations on phenomena throughout the MTI region with the
potential for upward or downward coupling into adjacent regions are also welcome.

Abstract submission deadline: Feb. 11, 2014.

Http://www.asiaoceania.org/aogs2014/

(7) Asteroid 15358 named for Paul Kintner of Cornell.
 From Gang Lu <ganglu at ucar.edu> and <James.N.Head at raytheon.com>.

Subject: Asteroid 15358 Kintner

Dear Colleagues [This was sent to a select few colleagues initially]:

All of you I know because of the AAAS Fellowship I served at State
Department, OES/SAT 2010-2012. And I believe you all know that job was
made much easier through my predecessor Paul Kintner's efforts. Paul
was unable to complete his Jefferson Fellowship and succumbed to
cancer in November 2010. As I mentioned to a few of you, I never met
or spoke to Paul, however some people leave a mark in other's lives,
and from that mold one can see something of the man who was. I learned
from my time in DC that Paul was such a person.

It is my happy duty to inform you that the International Astronomical
Union Minor Planets Center has approved the name 'Kintner' for minor
planet 15358, originally designated 1995 FM(8), as published in the
Minor Planets Circular dated 16 January 2014. 'Kintner' is now the
internationally recognized name for this space object, in perpetuity.

The citation for (15358) Kintner reads as follows:

(15358) Kintner = 1995 FM8
Discovered 1995 Mar. 26 by Spacewatch at Kitt Peak.
Paul Kintner (1946–2010), professor of electrical and computer engineering at
Cornell University, made pioneering rocket measurements of auroral electric
fields and
conducted research on space weather and its effects on GPS signals. He promoted
international cooperation in space weather research and operations.

Kintner is a main belt asteroid 2.75 AU from the sun, taking 4.65
years for each orbit. It has a diameter estimated between 5 and 11 km.

Asteroids are named by, but not for, their discoverers, and quite
often are named to memorialize an individual's contributions to
science. I thank Jim Scotti of Spacewatch (University of Arizona) for
submitting Paul's name for this object. I also thank Paul's widow
Connie Kintner, his obituary writer Don Farley (both Cornell) and
Madhulika Guhathakurta (NASA) for their assistance with the citation.

Please pass this notice to Paul's friends and colleagues.

Regards,

Jim (James N Head)