CEDAR email: Invitation to submit abstracts for Fall AGU

Miller, Ethan S. Ethan.Miller at jhuapl.edu
Fri Aug 2 12:17:10 MDT 2013

Dear colleagues,

We'd like to call your attention to two Aeronomy sessions at the AGU Fall Meeting.  Abstracts are due 6 August.

SA003. Aeronomy Near the Turbopause
SA017. Understanding the Mid- and Low-latitude Ionosphere

We wish to especially emphasize science questions that can only be addressed through networks or constellations of instruments as well as the frequent revisit times of commercial reusable suborbital and LEO spacecraft.  Furthermore, we are interested in predicting and parameterizing structures and processes smaller than the grid scale of present global models.

We look forward to seeing you in San Francisco...

--Ethan, Larry, and Lars.

--==--

SA003. Aeronomy Near the Turbopause

Section/Focus Group:
SPA-Aeronomy (SA)

Conveners:

    Larry Paxton, JHU/APL
    larry.paxton at jhuapl.edu

    Lars Dyrud, Draper Labratories
    ldyrud at draper.com

We solicit talks from two perspectives that we feel have a great potential for synergy and the potential for the development of transformative science: 1) what are the key science questions and measurement gaps that must be addressed to understand what happens at the turbopause? and 2) what are the new measurement regimes that can be accessed by taking advantage of the availability of commercial suborbital launches to the turbopause, small hosted payloads and other novel means of accessing the region by direct or indirect means? To achieve this goal, we seek contributions that capture the state of the art in measurement techniques, recent results, and plans for future missions or campaigns.

--==--

SA017. Understanding the Mid- and Low-latitude Ionosphere

Section/Focus Group:
SPA-Aeronomy (SA)

Conveners:

    Ethan S Miller, JHU/APL
    Ethan.Miller at jhuapl.edu

    Larry Paxton, JHU/APL
    larry.paxton at jhuapl.edu

Over the past decade, new approaches have been developed to understand ionospheric plasma processes, coupling between ions and neutrals, and the coupling between the lower atmosphere and the ionosphere. Large- to small-scale numerical and analytical models, assimilative techniques at a variety of spatial and temporal scales, new platforms and opportunities for in situ and remote sensing instruments, and the availability of another solar cycle of data, have made these new approaches practical and accessible to the broader community. This session solicits contributions addressing these emerging and developing areas. Submissions that address the longitudinal and hemispheric differences and/or variability are especially encouraged.