[Wrf-users] Question regarding determine some parameters in namelist.wps

Zhixuan Cao hitcaozx at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 13:08:18 MDT 2016

Thank you Carlos.  Could you check the following statements so that I can confirm that I understand you correctly.
1) So if giving e_we,  e_sn, dx and dy, the dimension of the computation domain can be determined, right? Choosing of dx and dy is up to me without additional constrain?
2) I should only give dx and dy for the first (coarse) domain, and not necessary to give that for other child domains because they can be inferred from parent_grid_ratio.

I have more other questions (sorry -):
1) How could I know what is the input resolution for each domain? More specifically, if I am using gfs data, I knew from the file name that the resolution can be 0.25 degree, 0.5 degree or 1 degree. What should be the corresponding grog_data_res for this case.

2) Is there any criteria to determine parent_time_step_ratio?
3) Is there any constrain on determine e_vert? By constrain, I mean, for example, e_we in namelist.input should be consistent with that in namelist.wps.  If not, I can determine e_vert based on desired resolution in vertical direction?
4) How to determine the p_top_requested?

Thank you again.

Zhixuan Cao