[Wrf-users] Compiling WRF with NETCDF, PNETCDF and PHDF5

Gianluca Meneghello gianmail at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 10:32:46 MST 2015

Hi,

I am having some difficulties in compiling WRF using NETCDF, PNETCDF as
well as PHDF5 (and using PHDF5 for NETCDF). I am using MVAPICH2 as the MPI
implementation.

I copy in the following the configures commands for all libraries, as well
as the configure for WRF. The WRF configure fails by saying that the NETCDF
installation does not support NETCDF4 features, despite the fact that I am
using the --enable-netcdf-4 flag when compiling netcdf. All libraries are
working correctly according to their make check command

Please do not hesitate to ask if you need more information. Thanks in
advance for any suggestion,

Gianluca

-------

The configure step for the libraries are (executed in order, each one
followed by make, make check, make install)

-- HDF5
CC=mpicc FC=mpif90 ./configure --enable-parallel --prefix=${H5DIR}

-- PNETCDF
MPICC=mpicc MPICXX=mpic++ MPIF77=mpif77 MPIF90=mpif90 ./configure
--prefix=${PNDIR}

-- NETCDF-C
CC=mpicc CPPFLAGS="-I${H5DIR}/include -I${PNDIR}/include"
LDFLAGS="-L${H5DIR}/lib -L${PNDIR}/lib" ./configure --disable-shared
--enable-pnetcdf --enable-parallel-tests --prefix=${NCDIR}
*--enable-netcdf-4*

-- NETCDF-FORTRAN
CC=mpicc FC=mpif90 CPPFLAGS="-I${NCDIR}/include -I${H5DIR}/include"
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${H5DIR}/lib:${NCDIR}/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
LDFLAGS="-L${H5DIR}/lib -L${NCDIR}/lib -lnetcdf" ./configure
--disable-shared --prefix=$NFDIR

The configure step for WRF is
export NETCDF4=1
export NETCDF=${NCDIR}
export PNETCDF=${PNDIR}
export PHDF5=${H5DIR}
export WRFIO_NCD_LARGE_FILE_SUPPORT=1
./configure

but the configure step fails saying that the NETCDF installation does not
support netcdf4, despite the *--enable--netcdf-4* flag in the compilation
of NETCDF-C
************************** W A R N I N G ****************************
NETCDF4 IO features are enabled, but this installation of NetCDF
  /home/gianlu/software/netcdf-4.3.3.1/netcdf
sounds like DO NOT support these IO features.

Please make sure NETCDF version is 4.1.3 or later and was built with
--enable-netcdf4

OR unset NETCDF4 variable
   bash/ksh : unset    NETCDF4
        csh : unsetenv NETCDF4