[Wrf-users] Noah Land Surface Model soil and vegetation

Fan, Xingang xingang.fan at wku.edu
Thu Aug 6 14:31:05 MDT 2015

Hi,

I'd appreciate any or all answers to the following questions about the Noah LSM:

  1.  How LAI is used along with land use types and vegetation fraction?
  2.  What is the relationship between LAI and vegetation fraction? Which one should I modify if I wanted to use real-time remotely-sensed LAI data.
  3.  I once used bare ground to replace a forest land use type, where I changed vegetation fraction to zero (but didn't do anything with LAI). Is is correct?
  4.  Although there are top-soil layer and bottom soil layers in the model, however, the model seemed not using bottom soil at all (no impact from changing bottom soil types). Is it correct?
  5.  Is it possible to increase the number of soil layers and extend the lower boundary (along with thicker deep layers) to a deeper depth, say 10 m? If yes, any suggestions on how to implement?

Thanks for any input!
Sincerely,

Xingang Fan