[Wrf-users] Metgrid SST interpolation

Ségolène Berthou segolene.berthou at lmd.polytechnique.fr
Wed Mar 19 04:49:41 MDT 2014

  Dear WRF users,

I have some troubles with the generation of the SST in the met_em files
: the interpolation is bad near the coasts with cold SST near the
coasts. I feel like I have tried all the possible configurations of
interpolation and landmask (LANDSEA and LANDMASK) in the METGRID.TBL.ARW.
However, the problem seems to be recurrent. Do you have an idea of what
interpolation/landmask I can use or where the problem comes from? Does
it come from geogrid?

I am using FILES generated from ERA-interim GRIB files.

You can find attached
- the SST in metgrid files: on the left, the one I get, on the right:
the one I am looking for (older simulation)
- the landmask: on the left, the one from ERA-interim, on the right: the
one from WRF.

Here is the METGRID.TBL configuration that corresponds to the figure shown:

name=SKINTEMP

interp_option=sixteen_pt+four_pt+nearest_neighbor+wt_average_4pt+search
         mandatory=yes    # MUST HAVE THIS FIELD
         masked=land
         interp_mask=LANDMASK(1)
         fill_missing=0.