[Wrf-users] Metgrid SST interpolation

Dominikus Heinzeller climbfuji at ymail.com
Wed Mar 19 10:38:32 MDT 2014

Hi Ségolène,

The problem is that the coarse resolution ERA-INTERIM data (75km) is interpolated along with your finer resolution geogrid data. Along the coast, the two landmasks do not match up and you get strange effects. Trialling different interpolation options can help but often does not remove the problem. Depending on your simulation period, you can substitute the ERA-INTERIM SST field (and landmask for interpolating this field) with NCDC SST data at 25km resolution available from the GHRSST website (data from late 1981 to early 2014). Other SST data at even higher resolution (down to 1km!) is also available from this website, but mostly for much shorter periods.

Cheers

Dom