[Wrf-users] Reading wrfout files into intermediate format

Koerner, William Skylar wskoerner at ku.edu
Sat Nov 2 11:36:50 MDT 2013

Hello,

I am trying to create intermediate files using a wrfout forecast that I have already done. Basically the wrfout files need to be the forcing data (data I would use for ungrib.exe) for a new simulation. From looking around I understand there are two files that are created in which are supposed to help write non-grib data into intermediate format i.e. read_met_module.F and write_met_module.F.

So my questions are:
how do I use these files to write files into intermediate format? Do I need to compile the fortran programs to create an executable for using them? if so any idea how to go about that.

second, I have seen sample programs which take CCSM data and converts it to intermediate format and other programs which have the output portion coded (my requirement is to write a code to read in the data ie wrfout), is this the route I need to take to accomplish my wrf run. once again if there is already code written to do this or if anyone knows how to start that code that would be great.

Thanks,
Skylar Koerner
University of Kansas