[Wrf-users] Initializing WRF with CMC GEM global model

Edu Penabad edu.penabad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 02:11:16 MDT 2013

Dear WRF users,

I'm trying to initialize WRFv3.5 with CMC GEM global data and I'm facing
some troubles, so I would like to ask whether anybody has already tested
something similar.

I have used Vtable.GFS and everything worked (almost) right.
 - ungrib: ran without problems.
 - metgrid: I had to set SKINTEMP to "mandatory=no" in METGRID.TBL in order
to avoid the "required field" error
 - real.exe/wrf.exe: I set num_metgrid_soil_levels to 0 in namelist.input
(because CMC does not have temperature and moisture at soil layers below
ground)

With that configuration I've managed to correctly run real.exe, but wrf.exe
starts to run and after some iterations it crashes with "WOULD GO OFF TOP:
KF_ETA_PARA..." error.

I'm pretty sure that it must be related with soil variables initalizacion
(*), but I don't know how to cope with that.

Does anyone have already succesfully tested CMC initialization? Any advice
on that?

Thanks a lot in advance! Regards!

(*) Related to the soil variables, I've compared 5-layer TSLB field
(wrfinput) from CMC initialization and GFS (which does provide below-ground
temp and moisture), and there are significant differences (TSLB field
(level=5) from CMC initialization is extremely cold). I'm sending two
figures attached where this can be observed

Eduardo Penabad Ramos
NWP Dpt. MeteoGalicia - Xunta de Galicia