[Wrf-users] conus12km benchmark output doesn't match provided wrf_reference data?

Paul.Caheny at uk.fujitsu.com Paul.Caheny at uk.fujitsu.com
Mon Oct 14 03:52:45 MDT 2013

Hi,

I've been following some instructions from Intel to benchmark WRF on Xeon Phi. I'm doing this for benchmarking purposes only and am not an experienced WRF user:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/how-to-get-wrf-running-on-the-intelr-xeon-phitm-coprocessor?page=1

These instructions suggest using the benchmark provided at the following link to test performance and verify correct execution:

http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/WG2bench/conus12km_data_v3/

To run this benchmark successfully one addition is required to the provided namelist.input file in order for the old benchmark data set to work with the current WRF version (3.5) - namely adding the line "use_baseparam_fr_nml                = .t.," under the &dynamics heading.

I have run the benchmark as a native application on a single Xeon Phi card and also on a single host Xeon CPU. In both cases I get the message wrf: SUCCESS COMPLETE WRF in the output.

The problem appears when I try to use diffwrf to compare the output from the benchmark with the wrf_reference data provided as part of the benchmark download at the link above.

It appears that some variables can't be matched between the experiment result and the reference result and of the variables that can be compared it appears that they are not similar enough to consider it a valid run. I have attached the diffwrf output from both a run on the host Xeon CPU and a run on the Xeon Phi coprocessor. The diffwrf output for both the CPU vs reference and the Phi vs reference are very similar.

Does this indicate that the execution is erroneous on both the CPU and the Xeon Phi? Or is there some reason why the wrf_reference data included with the benchmark is not a valid comparison against the output data from WRF 3.5?

Thanks,

Paul.

---

Paul Caheny
Researcher
Technical Computing Research
Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Ltd (FLE)
phone: +44 (0) 20 8606 4529
e-mail: Paul.Caheny at uk.fujitsu.com<mailto:Paul.Caheny at uk.fujitsu.com>
web: http://www.fujitsu.com/emea/about/fle/<http://www.fujitsu.com/emea/about/fle>

 Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Limited
 Hayes Park Central, Hayes End Road, Hayes, Middlesex, UB4 8FE
 Registered No. 4153469

 This e-mail and any attachments are for the sole use of addressee(s) and
 may contain information which is privileged and confidential. Unauthorised
 use or copying for disclosure is strictly prohibited. The fact that this
 e-mail has been scanned by Trendmicro Interscan does not guarantee that
 it has not been intercepted or amended nor that it is virus-free.