[Wrf-users] how to run WRF with no leap year calendar

Rui Mei meir02ster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 09:54:08 MDT 2012

Dear all,

I was trying to run WRF with climate data, which is 365-day calendar. So I
added -DNO_LEAP_CALENDAR to the macro ARCH_LOCAL in configure.wps file,
according to the user guide.

Here is the line:
ARCH_LOCAL = -DNONSTANDARD_SYSTEM_SUBR -DNO_LEAP_CALENDAR

There is no problem compiling the model, but when I run real.exe, it
crashes.
Here is the error message:
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
Error:: ESMF_Initialize not called
Rank 1 [Mon Aug 13 18:11:45 2012] [c22-2c2s2n3] application called
MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 1) - process 1

I tracked down the error message and it comes
from external/esmf_time_f90/ESMF_Time.f. I browsed the ESMF_time codes
under that directory and it says WRF is hard-wired to gregorian calendar. I
am still trying to understand those ESMF codes to figure the problem out.

Another thing I do not understand is that currently in configure.wrf, we
have the following in default

# switch to use separately installed ESMF library for coupling:  1==true
ESMF_COUPLING       = 0

Does that indicate ESMF lib is used or not ? I assume if it is set to 0,
ESMF is still used somehow, otherwise why would that error comes from there
?

I will appreciate if someone can offer an answer or advice. Thanks very
much!

-Rui