[Wrf-users] GFS data

Hein Zelle hein.zelle at bmtargoss.com
Thu Feb 9 01:14:56 MST 2012

Dear Gisele dos Santos Zepka,

> I need to run WRF for 24 hours using 0.5 deg GFS data (analysis from
> 12 UT + 24 forecasts). So, my first GFS file is gfs.t12z.pgrb2f00
> (that I believe to be the analysis) to gfs.t12z.pgrb2f24 every 3
> hours. I don't know if these are the right files to use.

The f00 files are always the analysis files.  The f-number indicates
the number of hours since the analysis, for each forecast.  The number
after the t (t12z) is the "cycle": the UTC hour when the forecast was
started.

So, a file called gfs.t12z.pgrb2f00 is the analysis for the forecast
which starts at 12UTC.  The file gfs.t12z.pgrb2f12 is a 12-hour
forecast valid for the following midnight, 00:00 UTC.

Each gfs file contains only 1 "time step".

There are 4 forecast "cycles" per day, so you'll see files labeled
t00z, t06z, t12z and t18z.

Kind regards,
     Hein Zelle

--

Dr. Hein Zelle
Advisor Meteorology & Oceanography

Tel:    +31 (0)527-242299
Fax:    +31 (0)527-242016
Email:  hein.zelle at bmtargoss.com
Web:    www.bmtargoss.com

BMT ARGOSS
P.O. Box 61, 8325 ZH Vollenhove
Voorsterweg 28, 8316 PT Marknesse
The Netherlands

----Confidentiality Notice & Disclaimer----

Unless otherwise agreed by BMT ARGOSS BV in writing, all work,
services, goods or products supplied by BMT ARGOSS BV shall be subject
to and governed by BMT ARGOSS BV's own terms and conditions which are
available for inspection from BMT ARGOSS BV on request.

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended for the
use of the mail addressee(s) shown. If you are not that person, you
are not allowed to read it, to take any action based upon it or to
copy it, forward, distribute or disclose the contents of it and you
should please delete it from your system. BMT ARGOSS BV does not accept
liability for any errors or omissions in the context of this e-mail or
its attachments which arise as a result of internet transmission, nor
accept liability for statements which are those of the author and
clearly not made on behalf of BMT ARGOSS BV.