[Wrf-users] WRFDA: Files for Updating BCs during Data Assimilation

Sean Crowell sean.crowell at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 8 10:06:27 MST 2012

In the WRFDA tutorial, the way that the cycling procedure is
explained, to update the boundary conditions requires at set of files,
which include a "first guess," a wrfinput file, and a wrfbdy file.  My
question is about the first guess and the wrfinput file.  In the
tutorial, it says the wrfinput file should come from real.exe.  Does
this mean that I have to run real.exe and output wrfinput files for
all of the assimilation times, or can I use the wrfinput from my WRF
run, which is copied from wrfvar_output from the last assimilation
cycle?  Also, the low boundary condition update and the lateral
boundary condition update occur before and after I run da_wrfvar.exe,
so the "first guess" that I use for each should be different, right?
I have been using the wrfout file from the most recent WRF run as my
"./fg" file for the low BC update, and the wrfvar_output file for the
lateral BC update.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sean Crowell