[Wrf-users] Write specific output data at each time step

Brian Etherton betherto at renci.org
Fri Dec 3 11:11:41 MST 2010

Hi there,

I have done this!  You have to go into the Resigtry, edit it, recompile WRF.  With the edits, you get more than one output file.  These other output files are 'auxiliary history' (auxhist, for short) files.  For me, I use this auxhist capacity to make outputs of surface wind every 15-minutes.

For example, for "LU_INDEX", I have edited Registry in this way:

state    real  LU_INDEX         ij      misc        1         -     i012rh01d=(interp_fcnm)u=(copy_fcnm)   "LU_INDEX"              "LAND USE CATEGORY"         "

The trick is "i012rh01d".  The "h" refers to the history file, the output.  0 is the default "wrfout_d01...", but 1 is an addition.
Anything in the registry which has h01 will be written out to both wrfout and to auxhist1.  So, with my edit "LU_INDEX" ends up in wrfout and the auxhist1 file.  You can make auxhist1, auxhist2, and so on.

Then, in the namelist.input, I have this, just before "&domains", I added this:

 auxhist1_outname                    = "wind_d<domain>_<date>"
 frames_per_auxhist1                 = 1,
 auxhist1_interval                   = 15,

So, this auxhist file ends up named "wind_d01...", and is output every 15 minutes.

This is the basic idea.

Ciao, for now,
Brian E.