[Wrf-users] MODIS landuse categories - WRF v3.1 doesn't run with them

Mikhail Titov TitovM at ap.aurecongroup.com
Mon Aug 31 22:56:43 MDT 2009

Dear WRF help and WRF users,

Does anybody work with MODIS landuse data using WRF v3.1 and Noah LSM?

I download MODIS landuse data from WRF official site.
I corrected GEOGRID.TBL for landuse to re-direct landuse into MODIS
directory in 'geog'.
I checked LANDUSE.TBL (in 'run' directory) - it includes
"MODIFIED_IGBP_MODIS_NOAH" tables for summer and winter seasons.
I included "num_land_cat = 20" in '&physics' of 'namelist.input'.

There is no problem to run 'real.exe' and to read MODIS landuse (using
"read_wrf_nc -w LU_INDEX ...").
MODIS landuse is quite different from landuse obtained from USGS.

But when I try to run WRF v3.1 I have error:

"LANDUSE.TBL" line 118 pinpoints on category 15 ('Snow and Ice') and WRF
dies on data conversion.
Is this a bug or I do something wrong?

Any help is highly appreciable.

Dr. Mikhail Titov | Energy  | Aurecon
Ph: +64 3 3660821 | Fax: +64 3 3796955
Email: TitovM at ap.aurecongroup.com
PO Box 1061 | Christchurch | New Zealand
http://www.aurecongroup.com
http://www.aurecongroup.com/apac/groupentity/

Please consider your environment before printing this e-mail.

Disclaimer - http://www.aurecongroup.com/apac/disclaimer/