[pyngl-talk] release of Pyngl version compatible with Ncl 6.1 or Ncl 6.2.1

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Dec 11 00:22:41 MST 2014

I have some binaries ready for you guys to try, and will keep uploading a
few more (I'm doing some Python 2.7.6/numpy 1.9.1 combinations too).

*https://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/Download/files/
<https://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/Download/files/>*

The install and test instructions are the same as they were for 1.4.1:

*http://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/Download/install_from_binary.shtml
<http://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/Download/install_from_binary.shtml>*

The file names should be pretty self-explanatory:

PyNGL-1.5.0-beta.Linux-Debian-6.0-i686-py278-numpy191-gcc445.tar.gz
<http://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/Download/files/PyNGL-1.5.0-beta.Linux-Debian-6.0-i686-py278-numpy191-gcc445.tar.gz>

The above is a 32-bit binary compiled on a Debian Linux system with Python
2.7.8, NumPy 1.9.1, and gcc 4.1.2.

I only have Debian and RedHat binaries (one of the binaries has an SL name
which is Scientific Linux and RedHat based).

If you have Ubuntu, then I recommend going with a Debian binary.
If you have CentOS, then try a RedHat binary.

Once you have the software installed, you can try the attached pyngltest.py
script, or run one of the examples available with "pynglex":

    pynglex -l    --> to get list of examples
    pynlgex xy1   ---> to run example "xy1.py"

Many of these call Nio.open_file, so you will need to have PyNIO installed.

If you have problems with a particular PyNGL-1.5-0-beta binary, then email
me with

   - The name of the PyNGL binary you downloaded
   - A description of your system:

uname -a

gcc --version

   - The output from running the attached pyngltest.py script
   - The "map1.ps" file, if it exists.
   - Any other information, like error messages, flavor of linux, etc.

I haven't looked into incorporating these into anaconda or some other
packaged set of Python software yet. I first just want to get them into the
hands of some testers.

Thanks again for your patience. I will appreciate hearing from folks
whether this new version is or isn't working for them.

--Mary