[Oppslist] Opportunity: Operational research meteorologist (modeler)

Hayes, Patrick M. patrick.hayes at ngc.com
Fri Jul 15 15:50:15 MDT 2005

Position opening for an experienced environmental modeler. Opportunity to work with world leaders in the field of applied meteorological modeling.  Because of relationship to US Department of Defense and requirement to have/get a security clearance, US citizenship is a plus.

--

Work with some of the best minds in applied meteorological research and development. As a top-tier integrator of information systems, we attract talented and highly motivated professionals for whom work with cutting-edge technologies is a must. We've put together a problem-solving powerhouse to tackle the most demanding environmental science challenges.

As a result, we can take on the toughest, most complex environmental science projects, the ones that don't fit yesterday's approaches. Because our customers demand breakthrough results, we've created an environment that encourages and rewards creative thinking. Thinking of a career breakthrough? Think Northrop Grumman Information Technology.

--

Job Description.
Provide meteorological expertise to the Consequence Assessment Branch (TDOC) of the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA). Emphasis is on the development and operation of the DTRA's mesoscale numerical weather prediction (NWP) modeling capabilities for use with the Agency's Hazard Prediction and Assessment Capability (HPAC) and other Consequence Assessment tools. This involves both assistance in managing DTRA R&D programs, and performance as a modeling expert during contingency/operational planning and operational exercises. Ability to work in a multi-discipline environment is a must. Other duties include HPAC advanced analytical support for operations and R&D efforts, advisory assistance to DTRA staff on meteorology related programs, HPAC training support, developmental support of the HPAC software system, field testing support, investigations of emerging meteorological technologies, and basic program management tasks.

Job Qualifications.
M.S. required, Ph.D. preferred in meteorology or closely related field. Candidates must be familiar with a variety of NWP systems such as MM5, WRF, COAMPS, GFS, NOGAPS, and international systems. Strong numerical modeling skills including mastery of concepts and operational applications are desirable. Computer skills should include experience with the UNIX and LINUX operating systems as well as a broad base of PC applications. Proficiency using MS Office software required, as well as demonstrated programming experience in one of more of the following: FORTRAN, C-shell, C/C++, Java, or Perl. Experience manipulating raw meteorological output (GRIB and other formats) is a plus. DoD program experience is strongly desired. Must have, or be able to obtain, a security clearance.

--
Patrick Hayes
Meteorologist, DTRA Programs
EMAIL: Patrick.M.Hayes at ngc.com