[ncl-talk] Problems with plotting Cyclone Track

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Thu Jun 20 16:44:25 MDT 2019

Hi,

Please reply to the ncl-talk group -- it provides a bigger resource for
answering questions.

I don't know much about WRF and what you are trying to do, but if all your
WRF files are single time step files, and all you are tring to do with this
line:

    time(ifs) = wrf_user_list_times(f)

is for each file capture that timestamp, then something like this might
work:

    time(ifs) = charactertostring(f->Times)

The f->Times variable (which I believe is standard) is character, so it
needs to be converted.

I'll note that when I ran a test using wrf_user_list_times() on a
single-time WRF file, it always produced a 1D array of dimension 2, which
would be why you are getting the error: trying to assign a 2-element entity
into a 1-element slot. Note that NCL requires the dimensionality *and*
types of both sides of an assignment statement to match.

Rick