[ncl-talk] Combining Plots

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Fri Aug 9 14:56:11 MDT 2019

Hi Zack,
If I understand your questions correctly, you'd like to be able to look at
the intermediate overlays before the final overlay is done, correct? If so
I don't think you can do this totally within NCL. You can however use Image
Magick and the composite command to combine images outside of NCL, which
you can write into your script. You would want to write out each
scatterplot as it's own image, and overlay them using the composite
command. That would allow you to look at the scatterplots as they get
created. You can even leave the existing coding intact for the plots, and
create a 2nd set of plotting calls for each plot that will be used by Image
Magick.
https://imagemagick.org/script/composite.php
Perhaps others will have a better idea, but this is the only option that I
see.
Adam

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 12:15 PM Zach Rieck via ncl-talk <ncl-talk at ucar.edu>
wrote:

> To whom it May Concern-
>
> I have several scatter plots that I want to combine into 1. My codes for
> each source file are comprehensive and take a while to compile (~10 min). I
> could create a master code and overlay everything, but I don't want to be
> waiting an hour for the plot to generate.
>
> What I'd like to do is modify my code to open the scatter plot and overlay
> the plots on top of each other into one. This seems like something that
> should be relatively straightforward to do, but I can't find any examples
> that guide me through the syntax.
>
> If code is helpful, I have it attached, but generally trying to frame this
> as a conceptual question. If you can show how to merge any PDF plots (or
> png if necessary) I can figure the rest out.
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> Respectfully,
> -Zach Rieck
> zrr817 at gmail.com