[ncl-talk] Error with skewT_PlotData

James Russell jorussel at ncsu.edu
Mon Oct 29 10:25:53 MDT 2018

Hi,

I'm currently trying to plot skewT diagrams with the standard
skewT_PlotData function. However, I'm getting an error about subscripting
at the skewT_PlotData line in my code. This is shown in the print out
below. I've seen this error a thousand times and it's usually a very simple
correction in my own code. However, this time I'm subscripting nothing and
feeding skewT_PlotData arrays that are all just one dimension, with 39
points.

An exert from my code is below (the rest is just reading in the data) and
also a print out from the code. Any help would be appreciated?

Thanks,
James
;*************************
; Resources
;*************************

skewtOpts                 = True
skewtOpts at DrawColAreaFill = True
skewtOpts at tiMainString    = ""
skewtOpts at vpWidthF        = 0.38
skewtOpts at vpHeightF       = 0.38
skewtOpts at DrawFahrenheit  = False
skewtOpts at tiXAxisString  = "Temperature (C)"
skewtOpts at tmXBLabelFontHeightF = 0.0225
skewtOpts at tmYLLabelFontHeightF = 0.0225
skewtOpts at tiMainFontHeightF    = 0.0225
skewtOpts at tiMainOffsetXF  = 0.0

dataOpts = True
dataOpts at DrawWindBarbThk = 2.0

;*************************
; Plot
;*************************

print(PR07n)

print("Plotting data")

wks  = gsn_open_wks ("png", "skewt_norsou")

skewtOpts at vpXF            = 0.08
skewtOpts at vpYF            = 0.95
skewt_bkgd_1 = skewT_BackGround(wks,skewtOpts)
skewt_data_1 =
skewT_PlotData(wks,skewt_bkgd_1,PR07n,TC07n,TD07n,Zm07n,Ws07n,Wd07n,dataOpts)
draw(skewt_bkgd_1)
draw(skewt_data_1)

Print out:

data/figs> ncl plot_skewT_ns.ncl
 Copyright (C) 1995-2017 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 6.4.0
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
(0) Reading data

Variable: PR07n
Type: float
Total Size: 156 bytes
            39 values
Number of Dimensions: 1
Dimensions and sizes: [lev | 39]
Coordinates:
            lev: [0.9965..0.002989615]
Number Of Attributes: 4
  _FillValue : 9.96921e+36
  units : Pa
  long_name : PR
  average_op_ncl : dim_avg_n over dimension(s): time
(0) 965.5065
(1) 957.6194
(2) 946.9515
(3) 933.5039
(4) 916.8141
(5) 895.9583
(6) 870.9427
(7) 842.1523
(8) 811.4512
(9) 780.7855
(10) 750.1562
(11) 707.0631
(12) 653.2709
(13) 602.9095
(14) 555.7852
(15) 511.7217
(16) 470.5537
(17) 432.1226
(18) 396.2743
(19) 362.8608
(20) 331.7417
(21) 302.7841
(22) 275.8629
(23) 250.8601
(24) 227.664
(25) 206.1693
(26) 186.2755
(27) 167.8874
(28) 151.0405
(29) 135.8232
(30) 122.1585
(31) 109.8879
(32) 98.86901
(33) 88.97418
(34) 80.08877
(35) 72.10982
(36) 64.94485
(37) 58.51083
(38) 52.73309
(0) Plotting data
fatal:Subscript out of range, error in subscript #0
fatal:An error occurred reading P
fatal:["Execute.c":8640]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 950 in
file $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/skewt_func.ncl

fatal:["Execute.c":8640]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 2199 in
file $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/skewt_func.ncl

fatal:["Execute.c":8640]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 79 in file
plot_skewT_ns.ncl

Graduate Research & Teaching Assistant
PhD Candidate: Atmospheric Science
Department of Marine, Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
North Carolina State University
http://go.ncsu.edu/james-russell