[ncl-talk] Counting the number of satellite tracks question

Laura Fowler laura at ucar.edu
Thu Oct 25 14:15:59 MDT 2018

Hi Srishti:

I assume that grid-points outside the satellite tracks are set to some
missing values. In that case, can you use the "num" function in conjunction
with the ismissing function for the entire month?

Just an idea,
Laura

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 11:05 AM Srishti Dasarathy <srdasara at ucsd.edu>
wrote:

> Dear NCL-talk community,
>
> I was hoping you could give me some guidance. I've written some code that
> allows me to plot satellite tracks over an entire month (or any time frame
> specified) across my region of interest. I've attached my code and an
> example figure to this email. However, I'm also trying to count the number
> of satellite tracks in this image since the satellite continually follows
> this route and overlaps prior tracks. Simply put, I'd like to know how many
> times the satellite overlaps this region in the month of January. I
> understand that it should be possible to do this, and I've done some
> reading into different commands, including ListCount, dim_num, and bin_sum,
> but am unsure of what to use and how to proceed forward. Could you give me
> some advice here?
>
> Best wishes,
> Srishti Dasarathy
> --
> Srishti Dasarathy
> Graduate Student
> Scripps Institution of Oceanography

Laura D. Fowler

Mesoscale and Microscale Meteorology Division (MMM)
P.O. Box 3000, Boulder CO 80307-3000

e-mail: laura at ucar.edu
phone: 303-497-1628