[ncl-talk] wrf_user_intrp3d problem

Daniel Vecellio djvecellio at tamu.edu
Tue Oct 9 15:34:58 MDT 2018

All,

I'm attempting to extrapolate heights down to 1000mb over my domain in
order to calculate 1000-500mb thickness. However, at some of my higher
elevations where pressure only gets to 800mb or so at the surface, the
extrapolation in the wrf_user_intrp3d function becomes wonky, and I get
values that are 9.9e+36 for 1000mb height.

The line of code I use is: z_1000 =
wrf_user_intrp3d(z,p,"h",1000.,0.,False) where z and p are height and
pressure obtain from wrf_user_getvar

Is there a way to provide reasonable numbers here? Given that we have
perfectly fine operational thickness maps over the Rockies, it has to be
possible, right?

Thanks in advance,
Dan