[ncl-talk] Unable to get the latitude on Y axis on a map

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Oct 1 14:57:41 MDT 2018

Hi Maud,

Thank you for providing a script that was ready to go.

I'm not sure what's going on with the native NCL map tickmark labels. I'll
create a ticket on this.

Meanwhile, there's a possible work-around, and that is to use a custom
procedure for setting the labels yourself.  This procedure basically uses
gsn_text_ndc under the hood to take a lat/lon value, convert it to NDC
coordinates, and then use gsn_text_ndc to draw the label.

This procedure is used in example mptick_9.ncl at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/mptick.shtml#ex9

I've included the procedure in your script, and then made a few changes to
make sure the X and Y axis strings and the subtitles at the top don't run
into the tickmark labels.

Note that I chose to label all four sides of the plot. If you don't want
this, simply comment any one of these lines to move the one you don't want:

  tmres at tmYLValues = ispan(70,82,1)
  tmres at tmXBValues = ispan(-101,-52,3)
  tmres at tmYRValues = ispan(70,82,1)
  tmres at tmXTValues = ispan(-150,-50,5)'

See attached. You should double-check that the labels look correct!

--Mary