[ncl-talk] precip forecast

Debasish Hazra debasish.hazra5 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 20:40:32 MST 2018

Hi,
Has anybody have used accumulated precipitation from GFS using NCL ? I am
using variable APCP, which stores precip in 6-hour bucket. I am looking in
to 1,3,5 days precipitation forecast from each summer day in a year. To
calculate 3/5 day forecasts I am using ncl to add forecasts of
6,12,18,24,30....60,66,72 (for 3day) and 6,12,18,24,30,.....108,114,120 for
(5day) and so on. When I averaged 1,3 and 5 day forecasts for the entire 3
summer months, I found precipitation in 5 days are always higher than 3 or
1 day ? I am wondering is it just because of adding more forecast hours
into it result in more rainfall or any other way to calculate 3/5day rain
forecasts ? Attached is the resulting figure with different forecast
lengths compared against ground observation which is daily.Any help.
Thanks
Debasish