[ncl-talk] Panel plot- spacing between plots

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Nov 19 10:34:39 MST 2018

Dear Saquib,

The problem is that your plots are different sizes. NCL bases the sizing of
all plots on the size of your first plot. If your first plot is larger than
some of the others, then the smaller plots will be resized too much.

One way around this to set the gsnPanelScalePlotIndex resource to indicate
which plot index represents the smaller of the plots you plan to panel
(indexing starts at 0). I would use plot index 1:

pres at gsnPanelScalePlotIndex = 1

However, now that you've changed the scaling, some of the larger plots on
the left will likely fall off the page. To fix this, you can set
gsnPanelLeft to a number slightly bigger than 0, just to provide a little
bit if a margin:

  pres at gsnPanelLeft           = 0.02

You can see some examples of tweaking plots for a panel at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/panel.shtml

In particular, look at plots panel_24.ncl, panel_28.ncl, and panel_30.ncl.

--Mary