[ncl-talk] Error getting weights to regrid from rectilinear to curvilinear - ESMF

Mirce Morales mirce.morales at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 10:21:33 MST 2018

Dear All,

I am kind of new using NCL and I am trying to regrid some TRMM_3B24 data
(0.25°x0.25°) to the resolution in my geogrid file (1km), however, I am
having a problem when I try to calculate the weights. It crashes in the
following line:

rectilinear_to_SCRIP( src_SCRIP_filename, src_lat, src_lon, Opt)
fatal:Eq: Dimension size, for dimension number 0, of operands does not
match, can't continue

If it's helpful, the printVarSummary of the input in the function is the
following:
Variable: src_lat
Type: double
Total Size: 56 bytes
            7 values
Number of Dimensions: 1
Dimensions and sizes:   [latitude | 7]
Coordinates:
            latitude: [16.875..18.375]
Number Of Attributes: 2
  units :       degrees_north
  long_name :   Latitude

Variable: src_lon
Type: double
Total Size: 48 bytes
            6 values
Number of Dimensions: 1
Dimensions and sizes:   [longitude | 6]
Coordinates:
            longitude: [-93.125..-91.875]
Number Of Attributes: 2
  units :       degrees_east
  long_name :   Longitude

Variable: src_SCRIP_filename
Type: string
Total Size: 8 bytes
            1 values
Number of Dimensions: 1
Dimensions and sizes:   [1]

The scripts I am using are based on ESMF utilities to regrid from
rectilinear to curvilinear:

TRMM2WRFHydro_generate_weights.ncl
TRMM2WRFHydro_regrid.ncl

The data and scripts are in the following path on Cheyenne:
/glade/scratch/mirce/LaSierra/FullDomainForcing/TRMM_3B24_Cut

I can't see clearly why I am getting this error and besides, I am not sure
about how to know if my grids are rectilinear or curvilinear, I am
supposing that TRMM is rectilinear and I know that the geogrid file is
curvilinear, but for another files I am not quite sure how to check that.

I will appreciate a lot any help about it and the error.

Thanks!
Mirce.