[ncl-talk] RH calculation (wrfout file)

Bill Ladwig ladwig at ucar.edu
Wed Mar 21 10:33:24 MDT 2018

Hi Mehdi,

First, you should use example 2 from that link if you are working with
WRF-ARW data, since wrf_user_getvar handles all of the variable extraction
for you and reduces the code to only a few lines. Since newer versions of
NCL now implicitly load everything (no need for the load statements at the
top), to get RH you just do:

a = *addfile* <https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/addfile.shtml>("your
WRF file name","r")

> time = 0
> rh = *wrf_user_getvar* <https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/WRF_arw/wrf_user_getvar.shtml>(a,"rh",time)  ; calculate RH

Replace the "your WRF file name" with the actual name of your WRF file.

Second, whether you use wrf_rh or wrf_user_getvar, the result returned is
just an NCL variable. If you want this placed in to a new file, you need to
do that yourself. In the example 1 that you used, it's only printing the
variable summary for RH, which is what you've copied and pasted above.

The easiest way to write to a file is shown in this example:

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/method_1.shtml

In reality, if you just want to compute RH and write it to a file, it's
only a few lines of code:

infile = *addfile*
> <https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/addfile.shtml>("your
> WRF file name","r")