[ncl-talk] problem about function "trop_wmo"

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Sat Mar 3 13:31:52 MST 2018

One issue is that that when the WMO criteria  for detecting a 'tropopause
break' was not found, the function correctly assigns a values of -999.0.
This should have been returned as an attribute (_FillValue) of the returned
variable. This was not done. A bug report has been submitted: NCL-2730.

---
The fix is 'trivial'. Manually set the value after return.

    ptrop = trop_wmo(ta&level, ta(time|:,lat|:,lon|:,level|:),0,False)
    ptrop at long_name = "tropopause"
    ptrop at units     = ta&level at units
    ptrop at _FillValue= -999.0   <====

---

More important, I think that the order you did the computations should be
altered.

[a] You computed a temperature climatology. Then you computed the
tropopause levels  using the temperature climatology.

[b] I suggest that the tropopause height  for each year-month be computed
first. Then compute the climatology of the tropopause heights.

I made some changes to your code [ :-) ].

[a] calculate_tropopause.ncl_v0: your 'updated' code
[b] calculate_tropopause.ncl: I think this is the better approach

Note: the differences are not 'visually' significant except for Dec.

Good Luck