[ncl-talk] Computing cape

Bill Ladwig ladwig at ucar.edu
Sat Mar 3 10:30:08 MST 2018

Hi Andrew,

This may not be helpful, but you might be able to use wrf_cape_3d instead
to help mask your undesired data. The cape_2d and cape_3d routines are the
same, with the main difference being that the cape_2d computes an averages
parcel in the lowest 500 m and computes cape for that parcel, whereas
cape_3d is going to treat every grid box as a parcel and compute the cape
for each grid box. While I'm not sure how scientifically valid this is, you
could mask off the cape_3d values that are below your pressure level of
interest, then average the values above it (up to 500 m) and see if that
works better. It should produce something similar to what cape_2d would
produce if the values were masked. However, is creating an average parcel
and lifting it the same as lifting several parcels and then averaging them?
I'm not sure off the top of my head, but for the lowest 500m, it's probably
not that bad.

The cape_3d routine also works on single vertical columns, so you could use
cape_2d for the entire grid first. Then over the region that you want to
correct, use the technique above and replace the cape_2d values with those
averages. This might help save the computational cost associated with
cape_3d, and will only impact the area that you're trying to correct.

Or, yeah, maybe just using the GFS cape is better.

Also, if I completely misunderstood what you're trying to do, please let me
know and I'll try again.

Hope this helps,

Bill