[ncl-talk] Simultaneous correlation between 2 variables

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Tue Jan 9 06:06:23 MST 2018

[1] spatial interpolation: yes, both grids must be the same size & shape.

[2] Interpolating a low resoluion grid to a high resolution grid just
yields the low resolution information on a grid with more points.
      Generaly, interpolate the high res to low res grid

[3] Which spatial interpolation function? What type of grids are the two
data sets on? If both are rectilinear, then 'linint2_Wrap' could be used.
     More complicated grids should use the ESMF regridding

[4] escorc is specifically for 'contemporaneous' correlation

[5] For monthly mean files the 'time' should represent the temporal
center-of-mass of the observations (ie: mid-month). However, many times the
file's creators indicate the time by the 1st day of the month. So, who
knows? It is your responsibility to find this information. My speculation
is that the time is just a place-holder.

[6] NCL 6.1.2 was released February, 2013. It is almost 5 years old. Many
NCL enhancements have bee mad. I suggest that you uograde to NCL 6.4.0

Please do not respond to me directly. ncl-talk only.
Good Luck