[ncl-talk] Simultaneous correlation between 2 variables

Sujata Mandke amin at tropmet.res.in
Tue Jan 9 00:12:33 MST 2018

Dear NCL community,
Greetings!

 I am trying spatial plot of simultaneous correlation between
 monthly SST and monthly rainfall data.  However, SST and
rainfall data have different horizontal resolutions. Also time
axis of the two datasets are different. Rainfall data has time
defined on first of each month while SST has mid-month (16th)
 date for monthly mean data.

	My questions are as follows
(i)Before calculation of correlation, do i need to interpolate
 one of the data sets to the horizontal resolution of the
other. (higher resolution to lower resolution data set.).
If so, which regridding function shall be used for
regular longitude/latitude grid interpolation.

I searched NCL website and also seen decision tree
figure, but could not find suitable function for my requirement.

(ii)Is Function “escorc” suitable for simultaneous correlation?

(iii)Do i need to make time axis definitions also same
 before calculating correlation between the two? As time
axis definitions in rainfall and SST datasets are different.

I am using NCL version 6.1.2 on linux operating system.
Please help in this regard.
Any suggestion would be of great help.

With best regards
Dr. (Mrs) Sujata Mandke
Scientist, Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology
Pashan, PUNE-411008.