[ncl-talk] RPRAM - ALGORITHM FAILURE reemerges

Tobias Kleine tobias.kleine at gmx.net
Wed Feb 28 05:13:36 MST 2018

Hi there,

I am currently working on EOF analysis of SSTs in the North Atlantic.
While plotting the first 30 EOFs (polar plot) I for the first time
encountered the apparently infamous RPRAM - ALGORITHM FAILURE error. I
quickly found out that often enough it has something to do with the
contour intervals or levels and thus played around with that for a
while. But so far I've not managed to plot all my 30 EOF patterns with
one setting for the contour levels and making all plots actually get
drawn by ncl.

I also found out, that the ARSCAM/ARPRAM bug has (according to
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/prev_releases.shtml#ARSCAMARPRAMBugFixed5.2.1)
been fixed with NCL5.2.1 . So I wondered my problem might be or if this
is the reemergence of it?

I have uploaded my data file and the script to the incoming ftp
directory under the following names:
predictor01_sst_oct.nc (data, 50MB)
SUPPORT_analyze_eof_sst.ncl (script, 4KB)

-I am running ncl version 6.4.0
-System type (don't 100% which part of this is relevant) Linux mlogin105
2.6.32-696.18.7.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Dec 28 20:15:47 EST 2017 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
- error message:
fatal:ContourPlotDraw: ARPRAM - ALGORITHM FAILURE
fatal:ContourPlotDraw: ARPRAM - ALGORITHM FAILURE
fatal:ContourPlotDraw: ARSCAM/ARPRAM - ALGORITHM FAILURE
fatal:ContourPlotDraw: draw error
fatal:ContourPlotDraw: draw error
fatal:PlotManagerDraw: error in plot draw
fatal:_NhlPlotManagerDraw: Draw error

Thanks for considering to help me out on this issue.
I hope I did not forget to submit relevant information.

All the best
Tobias Kleine
Institut für Meereskunde
Universität Hamburg, Germany