[ncl-talk] on calculation of stream function in x-z domain

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Mon Feb 12 12:14:59 MST 2018

Hi Yanting,
No, I do not think you can use uv2sfvpf to do what you want. Have you
looked at the zonal_mpsi function?
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/zonal_mpsi.shtml

If that does not suit your needs I am not sure that NCL has a function that
would work for you.
If you have any further questions or comments please respond to the
ncl-talk email list.
Adam

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 11:56 PM, Yan-Ting Chen <aquarius83523 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have a question on how to use build-in uv2sfvpf procedure in x-z domain.
> Since the procedure is set to calculate stream function "via spherical
> harmonics given u and v on a fixed grid", would it cause major problem if
> I do it naively by substitute v with w? Or the domain size matters? I use a
> 2 dimensional domain with 1000km in horizontal and 15km in vertical.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Yanting

Adam Phillips