[ncl-talk] Using merged shapefiles to create PRISM data subset

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Dec 20 09:41:35 MST 2018

Correct, but I wouldn't call it "subsetting" your data, as you are actually
masking it.

So, you can have all the counties in one big shapefile, or in individual
shapefiles.  It's easier if it's in one, but it will work if it's in
several. You have to do a few extra steps if the counties are in several
shapefiles.

The shapefile_mask_data function loops through all the possible segments of
all features in a shapefile and checks every point in your data to see if
it's inside one of those segements. If it is, then it doesn't do anything
to that data location. If it isn't, then it sets that data location to
missing.

What you end up with, then, is a masked array of the same size as your
original data array, but with some values set to missing.

In the script I set you, instead of returning the masked data array, I
returned a special array of 0s and 1s that serves as a mask that you can
apply to your data.  You could write this mask array to a file and then
read it in later to apply it to other data arrays that are the same size.
This will make things faster.

--Mary