[ncl-talk] setting label box of wmvect procedure

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Dec 3 09:30:49 MST 2018

Dear Yue Tian,

The wmXXX suite of routines are rather old and don't have much support in
the way of trying to control the individual vectors.

I took a look at weather_sym_8.ncl which sets the VRS parameter, and you're
right, it doesn't seem to be setting it to the expected value, although it
does get close. To see this example:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/weather_sym.shtml#ex8

VRS is being set to 40, but in the example, it ends up as 35.  If you don't
set this, however, you get a value of 88, so it seems to be working, sort
of.

You may want to look at drawing your own vectors instead of wmvect, and
then you have more control over them. See example polyg_23.ncl at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/vector.shtml

which uses an "arrow" function created by Arindam Chakraborty. You could
then add your own labels for the length using a call to gsn_text or
gsn_text_ndc.

Good luck,

--Mary