[ncl-talk] Fw: cross section

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Aug 24 08:38:10 MDT 2018

Hi Ehsan,

Your question highlights why I recommend that people use the
gsn_csm_contour_map function for plotting WRF data when they need to add a
lot of customization to the plot.

The issue is that you have to add the contours to the map plot, not the
contour plot.  The wrf_map_overlays function creates the map, does the
overlay, draws the plot, and then removes the contour plot, so by then it's
too late to add the shapefile information to the contour/map plot yourself.

However, wrf_map_overlays has a special resource, "PanelPlot", that you can
set that tells it not to remove the contour plot, allowing you to add the
shapefile outlines after the plot has been created. For an example, see
shapefiles_14.ncl at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/shapefiles.shtml#ex14

--Mary

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 9:26 AM, Ehsan Taghizadeh <ehsantaghizadeh at yahoo.com