[ncl-talk] Significance with contour: positive in solid line and negative in dash line

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 16 17:49:37 MDT 2018

Dear Zhen,

One way to find out if there's an example for something specific you are
trying to do, you can use the "tips" link on the examples page:

List of tips <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/concepts_list.shtml>,
resources <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/res_list.shtml>,
functions/procedures <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/func_list.shtml> and
the example scripts they appear in.

Which takes you to this page:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/concepts_list.shtml

You can then use your browser search to search for "negative" or
"positive".  You will find this under the search for "negative":

*Drawing negative contour lines as dashed lines*
    conOncon_1.ncl
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/conOncon_1.ncl> (contours on
contours <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/conOncon.shtml#ex1>)
    conOncon_2.ncl
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/conOncon_2.ncl> (contours on
contours <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/conOncon.shtml#ex2>)
    conOncon_4.ncl
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/conOncon_4.ncl> (contours on
contours <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/conOncon.shtml#ex4>)
    coneff_3.ncl <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/coneff_3.ncl>
 (contour effects <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/coneff.shtml#ex3>)
    coneff_5.ncl <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/coneff_5.ncl>
 (contour effects <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/coneff.shtml#ex5>)
    coneff_6.ncl <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/coneff_6.ncl>
 (contour effects <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/coneff.shtml#ex6>)
    coneff_9.ncl <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/coneff_9.ncl>
 (contour effects <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/coneff.shtml#ex9>)

I recommend clicking on the link inside the "(...)" and not the actual NCL
script, because this way you can see the description of the example, the
image, and the link to the script. A good example to start with is
"coneff_3.ncl":

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/coneff.shtml#ex3

which mentions two resources, gsnContourNegLineDashPattern and
gsnContourPosLineDashPattern

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/gsn.shtml#gsnContourNegLineDashPattern
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/gsn.shtml#gsnContourPosLineDashPattern

which should hopefully answer your first question.

To answer your second question, you can also use the "tips" page, but this
time search for "dot" or "stipple". In this case, "dot" gives you the best
results, and "coneff_11.ncl" may be the best example to look into.  The
resources cnFillScaleF and cnFillDotSizeF may help you with the density and
size of your dots.

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/coneff.shtml#ex
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/coneff.shtml#ex11>11

If this doesn't help, please post back to ncl-talk.