[ncl-talk] Calculating divergence from WRF output

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Wed Apr 11 22:30:53 MDT 2018

THX for sending a sample file.

See attached.

The computational part of your original scrip was 'ok':

   (a) rcm2rgrid  [better: rcm2rgrid_Wrap]
   (b) rgrid2rcm  [better: rgrid2rcm_Wrap]

However, as you found out ... it takes 'forever'. The underlying code is
'brute force' and not efficient.

---
I used ESMF.  I am sure you can follow the code.

It plots both the (a) rectilinear divergence and the (b)  WRF divergence.

The advantage of the ESMF is that weight files are generated:

WRF_to_Rect.WgtFile_bilinear.700_x_850.nc

Rect_to_WRF.WgtFile_bilinear.700_x_850.nc

These can be used on any variable that has the original WRF grid structure.

Then you can use:

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/ESMF/ESMF_
regrid_with_weights.shtml

The regridding will be 'instantaneous'

d04_div_50_1530.000001.png      regular contour plot
d04_div_50_1530.000002.png      One WRF grid with map

Please be aware that interpolating u and  v independently is 'technically'
not correct. Because, the components have moved  to a new geographic
location, there is rotation

   Unew = U*cos(ANGLE) - V*sin(ANGLE)
   Vnew = U*sin(ANGLE) + V*cos(ANGLE)

Still, what was done is 'good enough'  !