[ncl-talk] questions about WEB Mercator map projection

康贤彪 xianbiaokang at 163.com
Tue Apr 10 23:59:19 MDT 2018

Hi, All
    Whether the NCL support WEB mercator map projection?  if not, could someone be kindly give me some advice how to make some modifications to the NCL source code so that it supports the WEB mercator projection?
   As we have known, the NCL indeed support mercater map projection, in which the earth radius is decreasing from equator to higher latitudes. However, the google map uses the WEB mercator, where the earth radius is kept to a constant in anywhere of the earth.  Now I need to  plot a shaded coutour figures and then overlay it onto the google map, So the coutours I have to draw should use the WEB mercator projection just as that used by Google maps. it seems that current version of NCL does not support WEB mercator map projection, so, I ask for a help about how to make some modifications in the NCL source code, so that it can support the WEB  mercator projection

Sincere thanks for your help

Xianbiao Kang