[ncl-talk] color table issues

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Wed Sep 27 16:45:55 MDT 2017

This question is not clear (to me).

To what  "color table exercises" are you referring?

Also, it is best to indicate what version of NCL you are using:

%> ncl -V

----
If you have a variable that spans (say)

  res at cnLevelSelectionMode = "ManualLevels"     ; set manual contour levels
  res at cnMinLevelValF       = -275.               ; set min contour level
  res at cnMaxLevelValF       =  350              ; set max contour level
  res at cnLevelSpacingF      =  25.               ; set contour spacing

there are (350-(-275))/25 = 25 contour levels

By default, NCL adds 2 more levels to 'catch' values less than -275 and
greater than 350. Hence, 27 (25+2) colors.

Say you are using the 256 color table:

  https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/ColorTables/amwg256.shtml

Then, by default, NCL will select every  27-th color so that

---
By default,

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/cn.shtml#cnSpanFillPalette

   res at cnFillPallette = True

You can set this to False

   res at cnFillPallette = False      ; turn off spanning the color table

to select every color  but if you use the above settings you will get the
1st 27 colors in the 256-colr table.

 res at cnLevelSelectionMode = "ManualLevels"     ; set manual contour levels
  res at cnMinLevelValF       = -275.               ; set min contour level
  res at cnMaxLevelValF       =  350              ; set max contour level
  res at cnLevelSpacingF      =  2.5               ; set contour spacing

 350-(-275))/256 = 2.44

  res at cnLevelSpacingF      =  2.44               ; set contour spacing

Would use very color